Note: No Review Required List requires using your Access.Caltech credentials to view.
- No, domestic and personal shipments do not require a review by the Office of Export Compliance. For international shipments, refer to our pre-approved/no review required list for items that do not require a review.
Note: All international shipments still require an International Shipment/Proforma Invoice.
- Review our No Review Required List to confirm whether a review is required or not.
- If you are exporting outside the U.S., please complete the International Shipment/Proforma Invoice Form and email it to the Caltech Office of Export Compliance (email@example.com). This form will enable the OEC to review your shipment and provide you with the information required for your shipment -- an export license determination and classification of items to be shipped.
Review the Path/Bio Regulations form. If none of the selections are made, no Export Compliance review is required. Contact Caltech's Safety Office or x6727, prior to drop off at Mail Services
Instructions for shipping live, non-human vertebrate animals:
OLAR has a website landing page with instructions on importing/exporting and ordering animals: https://olar.caltech.edu/animals
For exports, the requests should come through firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are shipping live animals, biological, or chemical materials out of Caltech, please contact the Office of Technology Transfer and Corporate Partnerships (OTTCP) to complete a materials transfer agreement (MTA) at email@example.com. For more information see https://ottcp.caltech.edu/patents-licensing/mtas.
- Step 1: Shipper fully completes the proforma invoice.
- Step 2: Shipper emails form to the Office of Export Compliance (OEC).
- Step 3: OEC ensures compliance and returns the form to Shipper.
- If required, Safety will approve the shipment prior to drop off.
- Step 4: Shipper signs 3 copies.
- Step 5: One copy travels with package
- Step 6: One copy for Mail Services/Shipping Department
- We will add other information required for your shipment and email it back to you for signature. (Please provide your form at least three days in advance of your intended ship date or more if it is a large shipment, so that we have enough time to review your shipment.) Once the International Shipment Form is signed, please attach three copies to your shipment and retain another copy for your files. Please also email us a copy along with other shipment paperwork (i.e. FedEx forms, bill of lading, etc.) for required record keeping.
Learn How to Send International Shipments
A CI is a document that describes the transaction and also helps clear Customs in the US and foreign destination. A version of this form is recognized and used worldwide by exporters/importers who need to clear customs.
Yes, a commercial/proforma invoice is recommended to allow it to clear customs both in the US and in the foreign country. This document accompanies your shipment and describes the content and nature of your transaction. For example, the item may be sent for repair and return. Describing the transaction, such as "item is not being sold – value is being provided for customs duty purposes only; American goods returned; repair value" can help reduce duties. Providing a good description of your transaction and item can also avoid delay, or seizure by custom officials upon arrival to the country of destination.
The Caltech Office of Export Compliance (OEC) can assist you in determining whether or not your export requires an export license and file a request for an export license, if required. We can also assist with contacting the appropriate government agency or broker to help you obtain any necessary import permits or clearances. Please allow sufficient time for this review to avoid any delays to your shipment.
- No Review Required List
- Get started by downloading the International Shipping Proforma Invoice.
- FedEx Export AgentFile® application: Complete for shipments over $2,500.
- Check out the Glossary and Guide to Determining Customs Value
- Biologicals questionnaire for No Review Required List (word version), (PDF version)
- Watch for these red flag indicators during export transactions